Which fun fact is your favorite? If you spent sometime in Ecuador you will totally understand this… if not, hopefully you can get a good laugh and learn a little bit of what it is like in Ecuador.
1. You're bound to get molested (unintentionally) on a city bus when it's rush hour… accept it.
2. You will never see loose change (coins) on the streets/sidewalk. But if you do, grab it before someone else gets to it! Could end up paying for half your lunch.
3. You will get this stuck in your head… "Helado, helado,helado, helado, helado."
4. There is not enough salt or sugar to supply Ecuador… they love it and eat it by the pound.
5. Instead of counting sheep to try to fall asleep, you count dog barks as you lay in bed.
6. You will never see pepper on the table. But if on some rare occasion you do, take a picture and send it to me!… I've never seen it (not in an Ecuadorian home or restaurant).
7. Some occasions you will fall asleep to the soothing sound of blaring Spanish music during the late night hours. And on most occasions you will awake to blaring Spanish music.
8. Just because Mr. Green Light Man says its okay to cross the intersection doesn't mean it is, it never is in Ecuador.
9. If you know absolutely no Spanish before visiting Ecuador, you're screwed. At least know your numbers and brush up on your sign language (gestures).
10. You will learn the art of holding your pee. If not, hope you got toilet paper and some money.
11. Look down infrequently when walking on sidewalks or streets, you will learn why quickly if you don't.
12. If it looks nice on the outside, it's not nice on the inside.
13. If you ordered something in a restaurant and it comes out and it's not what you ordered. Guess what… You're having whatever they brought out.
14. You learn and come to fully accept things you would't normally accept. Like, "Yeah, my hands are clean enough to eat with, and so is this fork" or "This looks safe to eat" or "Umm yeah, that's totally mud under my shoe" or perhaps "The shade of dust on my pants goes well with my shirt."
15. New shoes before you came to Ecuador becomes shoes that look like you had them for 5 years. And you only been in Ecuador for 2 weeks.
16. Girls, guys in Ecuador will do this hissing chicken sound to get your attention… It's weird and kinda really creepy.
17. Your collection of Susan B. Anthony coins will increase faster than the dollar bills in your wallet.
18. How you like cold showers?… I know, I love them too.
19. If you think you are a fit person. I dare you to take a day and walk around Old Town Quito. When you live in Ecuador there is no need for a stair master or inclined treadmills.
20. "Oh hi cute little stray dog! Please don't come near me cause I don't wanna touch you."
21. Boiling water to drink becomes a ritual and a routine you won't stray from.
22. I feel like I'm the only one not wearing a soccer jersey today… or yesterday… and probably tomorrow.
23. There's always dirt under my fingernails… gotta get me some nail polish, problem solved. 😉
24. Lawn mowers are called cows.
25. Honking your horn when driving is like your saying, "hi", "goodbye", "move", " hurry up", "I'm coming", I'm going"…. and any other words known to man… or just no words at all, they LOVE to honk.