As you may already suspected, coffee emerged in Vietnam (link) with the arrival of french and dutch in the 18th and 19th centuries and the vietnamese adopted the beverage and made it their own.
Actually the coffee culture in Vietnam is huge, being one of the world’s largest producers (second after Brazil), and often praised for it. Its uniqueness comes from the exceptional country’s typography. With mountainous regions embracing the area in roughly the same direction as the prevailing winds, creating complex micro-climates perfectly suitable for different coffee species. However, most plants are low altitude, being about 97% of Robusta coffee.
The traditional vietnamese coffee brewing includes the use of a metal drip filter, the phin, which is placed on top of a glass or cup, in a filter process that takes up to 15 minutes. What you get is a strong base of bittersweet flavor and lush texture, to prepare one of the about 6 varieties of existing coffees in Vietnam, based on their characteristics and ingredients. One that takes anyone to heaven is the delicious egg coffee or cá phê trung.That’s right, egg coffee!
Egg coffee can be found in cafés in Hanoi, being one obligatory degustation for those who travel with The Wanderlust to Vietnam. The ingredients, are nothing more than egg, coffee and sweetened condensed milk. The result is a perfect combination of the sweet and creamy cloud of egg and sweetened condensed milk and the bitter coffee, which italian tiramisu! Even for the most skeptical, it is worth the sin!
Vietnamese egg coffee recipe
– 1 Egg;
– 3 Teaspoons of vietnamese powder coffee;
– 2 Teaspoons of sweetened condensed milk;
– Boiling water.
– Brew a small cup of vietnamese coffee;
– Crack and egg, split the egg whites and the yolk;
– Put the yolk and sweetened condensed milk in a small bowl and whisk until you end up with a fluffy mixture;
– Add a tablespoon of freshly brewed coffee and involve it in the previous mixture;
– In a cup, pour the brewed coffee and then add the fluffy egg misture to the top.
– Let the tasty trip begin!